Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

I did not finish this book.  I  got 41% through it and I had to stop.

The book seems an endless loop of questioning religion, questioning God, questioning the existence of God, questioning the need for religion, and so on through the voices and experiences of many different people from many walks of life although all of them are Muslim.

Now we know why there was a fatwa put on Rushdie's head.  The higher religious authorities of Iran don't stike me as people who are okay with anyone suggesting that we should question God and religion.

One day I might finish the book but, then again I might not.

Rushdie has an enormous vocabulary and he uses it.  His usage of an extremely erudite prose slows down my rate of reading just a bit.

No comments: