Thursday, June 5, 2014

Death Comes For the Archbishop

Death Comes For the Archbishop by Willa Cather

This is not a story of action. I knew here was a death expected but still I was sad at the loss of the Archbishop and his friends.

This is a slow but engaging saga of two catholic priests who are sent from France to Ohio and then from Ohio to New Mexico. This was in the days when the Comanche still ruled the plains and so the voyage was made long by having to go around Indian territory. New Mexico had only just become part of America rather than Mexico. The arrival of a French Bishop and his French Vicar did not sit well with everyone.

Willa Cather was able to capture the look and feel of the wide open spaces that had not yet been settled. She does this over again and again in her books and this is no different.

I highly recommend this book. I was surprised how fast I was able to get through the book. It was an easy read and very engaging.

No comments: